I first heard the term “waging preemptive peace” from Derek Webb. He was describing how, when we serve the poor, not only are we carrying out God’s by caring for “the least of these,” but we are also insuring future friendships. A good case can be made by the scary reality that the devastation WWI was a breeding ground for Hitler, or that the Taliban grew out of an Afgani civil war fought by factions that the U.S. armed.
Who are the enemies that just need to be won over by love? Mind you, this love may be just as hard as war, but not nearly as devastating. What future genocides or 9/11s could we prevent? Here’s a few I came up with. Please add your own.
- Innovative cradle through college education programs for South Central LA, where few boys live to see 18.
- Earthquake proof housing in Iran
- Sustainable farming practices in Africa
- Orphanages in the slums of India
- Education and employment opportunities for impoverished Muslim immigrants in Europe.